Baking School Assistant, Washington
King Arthur Flour | Burlington, WA
Reports to Baking School Supervisor
Location: The Bread Lab, Burlington, WA
The Baking School Assistant provides support to both the instructor and the students in the classroom as directed by the Baking School Instructor. The primary responsibility is to create a fun, welcoming learning environment for students to experience the best of King Arthur Flour's vision "to serve, educate, and inspire." The assistant serves as an ambassador of the brand, a resource for students, and a support to the instructor, while executing a demanding logistical plan for the implementation of the class curriculum.
This is a part time position, approximately 20 hours per week.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Assist instructor in class set-up, including equipment, ingredient, and student needs
- Support instructor in execution of class curriculum, keeping time, overseeing product, and attending to student needs
- Work under the direction of the instructor during class to supply students with ingredients, equipment, and technical assistance, while maintaining a welcoming classroom atmosphere
- Provide a clean classroom during class hours through clearing student workspace, washing dishes, and cleaning common work areas
- Assist instructor in baking and packaging student product
- Assist instructor in cleaning the classroom after class
- Prepare for future class offerings by organizing materials, equipment, and ingredients, as well as executing advance prep as time permits
- Strong interpersonal skills and the capacity to work well on a team
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail
- Creativity, flexibility, and ability to work well under pressure to accommodate a wide range of both instructor and student needs
- Strong culinary/baking background
- Excellent customer service skills
- Culinary degree preferred.
- Minimum 3 years baking experience.
- Teaching experience a plus
- Open to change, recommends actions for continuous improvement
- Think and act strategically, understand how role contributes to larger outcome
- Provide exemplary customer service to both internal and external customers
- Set high standards for oneself, meet deadlines
- Learn from mistakes, receptive to feedback
- Effective communicator, listen and respect others' points of view
- Participate in team problem solving and decision making
- Maintain a positive attitude
- Community minded - get involved, volunteer
- Physical requirements
- This is a physically demanding role, requiring standing, walking, and frequent lifting for up to 10 hours a day.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds occasionally
- Must be able to operate classroom equipment, including ovens and large mixers.
- Work environment
- Assistants work in the classroom, dishroom, or outdoors at the wood-fired oven, so temperatures can range from 50°F to 90°F
- The classroom is a fast-paced work environment
- Understand that safety is the responsibility of everyone at the organization
- Responsible for providing a safe and ergonomically sound work environment, identifying unsafe conditions and correcting these conditions immediately
- Engage in safety and compliance training programs and encourage 100% team participation in same
- Adhere to company-wide green norms, look for ways to reduce, reuse, recycle
- Educate oneself on KAF environmental campaigns
- Strive to continually improve and implement new processes to reduce our environmental impact
- Closed-toed shoes with feet and legs covered
- Chef's coat required for class hours
- Long hair pulled back, minimal jewelry, no nail polish
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law. King Arthur Flour provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities to allow individuals to participate in both the application process and during employment. Such individuals are encouraged to seek accommodations to allow them to meet the functions and requirements of the position.